The Chester County Department of Community Development (DCD) allocates Federal, State, and County funds to provide a variety of services to low-income individuals and families in Chester County, including but not limited to, case management, employment skills and job readiness, self-sufficiency, financial management, supported housing, and legal assistance.
The mission of Community Action Agencies is to move people from poverty to self-sufficiency. The primary source of funding for Community Action activities in Pennsylvania is the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) awarded through the PA Department of Community and Economic Development.
The Chester County Community Resource Guide provides a listing of resources available to county residents, including:
- Information and referral agencies
- Coordinated assessment for individuals and families experiencing homelessness
- Homeless shelters and other case management for the homeless
- Rental housing assistance programs
- Financial assistance, legal and credit counseling services
- Drug and alcohol, and mental health treatment resources
- Health and medical services
- Medical insurance and prescription assistance programs
- Transportation resources
- Educational and employment resources
- Food cupboards
- Hot meal programs
- Services for seniors
Additional agency information may be found online at REFER web, the Chester County Health & Human Services Information and Referral Database.